Monday, April 28, 2008

Video Games

Here are the video games I've played sometime during the last year:

Final Fantasy X (2001).  Pretty cool game, great music.  I wish I could tell the "level" of each character so I could try to keep them balanced.

Planet Puzzle League.  This is the same as Pokémon Puzzle Challenge and Tetris Attack.  2 player mode is outstanding when your opponent is good.  Back in undergrad, Frank and I would play epic games with chains going well into the "?" zone.

The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time (1998).  Zelda 3 for SNES was one of my favorite games of all time.  This one is A-OK, but not in the same league.  I might get around to its sequel,Majora's Mask, preferably before 2018.

Gran Turismo 4 (2004).  I like to see how long it takes to get all the gold medals for the Super License.  On the day this game was released, Clint and I took vacation and played until our eyeballs fell out.  I haven't done either of the Sarthe 24 hour races, but I tag-teamed Neubergring with Clint nearly two years ago.

Dragon Warrior (1989, US).  In 1989, my brother and I subscribed to Nintendo Power and received this game as our free gift.  Neato.  I recently re-played it on an emulator.  This one brings back the memories.

Clearly, I'm not a modern gamer.  I don't have a current system (except for the Nintendo DS portable).  I haven't played computer games in a while, and I'm not as thrilled to play video games as I used to be.  But my slow adoption of old classics means that I play only quality games, ones that are or should be Game of the Year, ones that are old news and $10 in the bargain bin, ones that emphasize gameplay and fun, and even if they did push pixels in their heyday, they don't depend on graphics to tell a story.

I'll happily accept game recommendations, but don't be surprised if I wait another decade before I get around to it.

1 comment:

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

I wish I had some fun activity that I could do, like playing video games, where it relaxes my brain. Oh well, I guess that's what stampin' and cookin' are for!