Thursday, May 1, 2008

Spring Break Collection

Hamarikyuu Gardens.  These gardens have better flora than the imperial garden.  We arrived just as the cherry trees blossomed, which is a result of lucky timing rather than skillful planning.  There is a saltwater lake and accommodations for shogun duck hunting.  I took some shots at the ducks, but I used a camera instead of a NES Zapper.

This photo was taken before Natasha became angry with me for taking too many photos.  As I type this, I'm left with only photos and memories, and if experience has taught me anything, I've learned to trust photos better than memories.  Sorting through these photos brings me back there as if it were yesterday.  Additionally, being in charge of the camera gives me an important task which keeps me occupied, happy, and less irritable.

Here is a photo of Natasha after I'd take too many photos of her:


The ducks were channelled into stream-lets, where a wealthy landowner would use rice and cunning to catch the duck in a net. This is the samurai way.   I didn't know this until I began writing this blog.  During out visit,  I couldn't see the utility of the small channels, but it all makes sense now.

Here is a photo from a duck blind.  I think they threw the rice out from these stealthy positions.


This area was also designed to train falcons.  Go Mordecai!

Finally, earlier that morning I was watching their version of Saturday morning cartoons.  They had options similar to Sesame Street, but what interested me more was a show about programming a computer to draw fractals.  This was taught at a high enough level that even children might be interested.  It speaks volumes for their culture (or at least speaks to my misunderstanding of their culture).

I think "maru" means "round" and google says that "hankei" means "radius".
Pretty neat, if you ask me.  I've never seen its equal on American TV.

2 comments:

astoriamusing said...

How in the world did you figure out that the show was about fractals? But my real question is have you repudiated anticipatorily or do you have a fully integrated contract? See, some of us are studying! Natasha looks pretty even when peeved.

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

I must have been snoozin' during the fractals program. Oh, and also, to assist your memory, your wife has taken meticulous notes and journal entries that are readily available to you whenever you want them. FYI.