Tuesday, September 30, 2008

For the record

OK, sometimes I think I'm a computer smart guy.  Capable.  And all that.

Today I spent 30 minutes trying to figure out why Google Reader doesn't save my password.  I started with my browser, telling it to autofill.  When that failed, I updated my keychains and removed the entry for Google so that I could make a new one with the right properties.  When that failed, I reset my browser, deleting all cookies and stuff.  When that failed, I didn't know what to do.

All of this takes 30 minutes because fixing problems on a computer is mainly about perseverance.  It still didn't work.  So I persevered.

Ultimately, the fix was to adjust my bookmark.  It took me to a login page instead of to the general page where it would remember my login.

Fixing problems isn't about knowing the solution.  It is more about trying and trying and not giving up.

1 comment:

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

I think you're the smartest computer guy in the world! You solve all of our computer problems with ease. And perseverance is a remarkable quality. Most people, like myself, are too impatient and give up after 5 minutes so kudos to you kiddo!