Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shopping History Horrors

Over a decade ago, when I was a teen, I bought a Star Wars book from Amazon (along with a dozen other books that summer), decided I didn't like it, and never bought or read another.

But Amazon remembers.  And every time I visit their website, it suggests a bevy of Star Wars books that I might like.

I can't make it stop.  I've tried.  I've tried.  I've tried.

The reason I can't change it is because when Amazon suggests an item that you might want, it will discount the price to help entice a sale.  Like all good systems, people began to game the system and force Amazon to recommend big ticket items so that they reduce the price (5% really adds up on a $2000 computer).  Once word got out, Amazon changed their policy to make it harder to guide their suggestions towards the items you were going to buy anyway.

I guess it shouldn't bother me so much.  But this all relates back to a simple fear that other people misunderstand my positions.  I suppose this entire post is built on that fear.

1 comment:

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

One of the characteristics of people born in the Year of the Monkey is that they would never let people escape if they have behaved badly or damaged a monkey's reputation. I guess in this case it's quite true!