Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Waste Paper

Yesterday we received our "brief" materials, a thick pile of documents filled with evidence, requirements, and sample writings.

Each time I get something like this I ask myself whether the value of printing so much paper is worth the cost of the materials used.  Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.  During the previous semester, a professor assigned an essay and then printed a packet of anonymous answers for the whole class.  That was colossal waste of paper – I'd already done my research for the answer so I wasn't looking to learn from my classmates, and the class was probably my largest and therefore had the most entries into this useless tome.  Plus, optional reading is not high on my foodchain - I have enough to digest.

As I was leaving class I noticed an abandoned packet on a classmate's desk.  I figured it was accidentally left behind.  I was, in all honesty, unhappy at the sight of so much paper waiting to be thrown out by the next person to use the classroom.  I figured that the owner would eventually want another copy and would print out another packet, wasting a tree in the process.  I knew that I would find the owner in the cafeteria and I was heading there myself, so I decided to deliver the paper and save a tree.

So I personally delivered the papers.  What I wasn't expecting was the reaction I received.  She spoke in a convincing tone, "oh, that was an extra packet.  You are SO SWEET!"  Ummm, no I'm not.  I'm mildly angry at the waste of paper and I happened to be going to the cafeteria, so I brought the packet along.  My goal wasn't to please anyone.  I might have expected a "thank you."  I was surprised at the reaction and I think I just said "OK" and walked off.

What is the moral?  I guess I can't take a compliment.  Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.  The power is yours.

1 comment:

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

Oh sweetie, my good Samaritan.