Saturday, March 1, 2008

Homemade Carrot Cake

I baked a carrot cake this afternoon!  It was pretty fun to see all the ingredients make a cake.

The process is long.  Building a cake from scratch takes a lot of elbow grease – especially sifting the flour mixture using a tiny wire screen that isn't made for sifting.  But the results are much more satisfying than buying a cake at the store.  Natasha was nice enough to do all the cleaning, and she shredded the carrots.

The cake tasted great, especially with a hot cup of French Roast coffee (thanks Scott).  The icing is far more delicate than carrot cake you'd find at the store.  And the cake itself it more moist.

On a different subject, I've been battling allergies for the last two weeks.  Yesterday was particularly debilitating because my nose wouldn't stop running.  So I've once again started over-the-counter allergy medication.  I've tried to avoid the meds because their side effect is insomnia, and I already have trouble sleeping.  As with all medications, I've got the weigh the benefits against the burden.

Tonight Natasha and I will be going to a big charity auction hosted by our school's Public Interest group.  We'll get dressed up and bring out pocketbook, but traditionally the items cost more than I'm willing to spend.  Plus, I'm not looking for new things to buy – my list is long enough as it is.


4 comments:

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

And I can attest to the cake's delicious-ness. We had two helpings a piece!

Unknown said...

Are you going to make me a carrot cake when I visit? I love carrot cake too. I do not like it too sweet and no fosting please.

Thomas said...

I'd love to make you carrot cake. The way I made it was sweet, but not as sweet as some other carrot cakes I've had. Some carrot cakes have frosting that is so sugary that it turns hard.

astoriamusing said...

I had some of this carrot cake. It was wonderful--heavy and good.