Sunday, March 16, 2008

Ever tried a Mac? I hope you didn't use MS Word.

I avoid Microsoft Word, because it is horrible.  But I need to work with a partner, so I need to use this vendor-locked abomination because it is easy for me to adjust, and harder to ask my partner to try something new.

When I set out, I thought it was bad enough to be writing .doc files, depending on Rosetta (because MS is too busy to compile their code), and looking at the various indecipherable mystery-meat buttons taking up half of my screen.  I thought my problems would be limited to autocomplete, autocorrect, and clippy the wonder helper.

I was wrong.

It turns out, Microsoft decided to break every other standard for human interaction.  Selecting text grabs whitespace on both ends, option doesn't function normally, forward-delete-word doesn't work, and the program had annoying habits of splashing toolbars outside of the program's allotted focus area.  Come to think of it, delete-word is probably the most useful command they could have supported.  They have made a program which, if used regularly, completely fails to "get" human interaction within the environment.

I honestly believe that MS intentionally set out to provide stupid and useless control mechanisms for Word for Mac, just so they could confuse everybody on how the system is supposed to respond.  And they probably don't recompile because they like slow interaction.  And they use custom menus for stuff like printing that doesn't support keyboard interaction, and their preferences are all goofy, and their help system is the usual Worthless Windows baloney instead of useful, contextual help.

How did such a horrible company fool so many people into using their junk?

2 comments:

astoriamusing said...

Okay, you're officially one grumpy Thomas! However, I, too, am spending way too much time fiddling with the word processor and not getting my brief written. I go nuts when Word simply starts formatting randomly and making everything single space.

And then the dumb word verifier is getting longer and longer to post a blog comment. I'm grumpy, too.

Thomas said...

Hi Astoria,

Q: What is a good way to jumpstart a stagnant blog?
A: Have a writing assignment due soon.

My partner says that he bolded a sentence two months ago, and Word continues to make the occasional sentence bold out of sympathy.

I hope the next version automatically composes in IRAC form.