Sunday, March 16, 2008

Here is a photo I like


I took this photo at Starbucks this morning, and I really liked the way it turned out.  The lens is the amazing 10-17 fisheye, I'm sitting inches from the table and the lens captures everything.  The lens captures 180 degrees from corner to corner, so the greatest spherical distortion is at the corners.  The paper is thusly huge.  My model is in the center, where the distortion is minimal, which is the best place to put a person.  The two cups of coffee look really big and the baristas can be seen serving a customer — all impossibly far away.

I have about one ounce of art in me.  I'm sure there are a million things wrong.  And most people really dislike fisheye because it distorts things.  Oh well, I still like it.  Rectilinear lenses also distort edges, preserving parallelism at the expense of relative size.  We're just used to seeing it.  My subject is blinking too.  Tough.  I like it.

1 comment:

Tea Pot with Natasha said...

Next time I'll try not to blink and smack my lips.